Our Clinic maintains a wide array of diagnostic facilities (ultrasound, bronchoscopy) as well as its own infectious diseases laboratory.
We closely cooperate with other medical disciplines of the Charité and with the experts of the Robert Koch Institute Berlin for rapid, comprehensive infectiological diagnoses.
Learn more about the diagnostic services of the Clinic here.
You are here:
Bronchoscopy and Ultrasound
The Speciality Network for Infectious Diseases and Respiratory Medicine maintains its own endoscopy facilities at all three Charité campus for carrying out invasive procedures on both in- and outpatients.
The range of services includes:
- Bronchoscopy (lung endoscopy)
- Bronchoalveolar lavage (extraction of fluid from the airways)
- Endobronchial sonography (ultrasound examination of the lungs through the airways)
- Sonography (ultrasound examination) of the lungs and pleura
- Placement of pleural drains
- Biopsy (taking samples) from the airways, lungs and lymph nodes for further examination
We cover the entire range of infectiological diagnostics via close cooperation with other diagnostic facilities of the Charité (including virology and microbiology), as well as with the Institute for International Health and with the Robert Koch Institute Berlin (RKI).
In addition our department maintains its own parasitological laboratory where samples are examined for specific pathogens. Resulting from our many years of experience and from our close link to the infectious diseases physicians, we offer prompt diagnosis of rare parasitolocial infections .
Our medical on-call service also offers 24-hour malaria diagnostic.